What is this blog for?

Yes, I am lucky enough to realize one of my dream: doing a world-tour traveling Eastward, crossing about 20 countries during 7 months :-))
This blog tries to share part of this personal experience, through pictures, descriptions and thoughts. This is also to keep a track for me to remember later on ;)
Enjoy and do not hesitate to comment!

Friday 28 June 2013

Bocas del Toro: Spanish under the sun :)

How to talk about Bocas del Toro? That is something I am thinking about since 1-2 weeks, and can't get to finish this blog post. I decided I will do 3 posts about this 2.5 weeks time there: on my Spanish lessons and the village/surroundings; on the sports/island beaches time; and of course, on the friends & party time :)

3 weeks before to head to the archipelagos of Bocas del Toro (West Caribbean side of Panama), I didn't even know it was existing! Originally, I was planning to spend about 2-3 weeks in Costa Rica to learn Spanish and tour the country, before to spend 10 days in Panama then head to Peru. Finally, I spent almost 4 weeks in Panama, out of which 2.5 in Bocas del Toro!


So what's special to Bocas del Toro? Well, nothing really and at the same time... this little, laid-back village with a very relaxed atmosphere has been a great place to cool down after 3 months of intense travel, never sleeping more than 4 nights in the same place.

Note: about traveling, I've started to draft a post about some travel thoughts and tips, got some questions about those, and would anyhow like to lie down my thoughts and feelings ;-)

They key reason I choose Bocas: I was looking for a Spanish school, where I could also have a beach around and be able to learn surf. The conditions here were gathered, so here I come.

PS: as an "secondary" point, it was also said to be a party/backpackers place...

Habla Ya! Spanish school. 
Arriving Sunday June 23rd end afternoon, I got school starting at 8am on Monday! Wow, knowing I'll have a "fix schedule" for 2 weeks is quite a strange feeling, had forgot about this! ;-)
Habla Ya! school's front with my 1st teacher, Gilberto

The school is really nice, the atmosphere serious but relaxed and welcoming. Teachers are locals who barely speak a word of English... very good!

Other students are mostly a mix of Americans/Canadians/Europeans, from 18 to 35 years old, perfect to quickly make friends!

After 2 days of 4 hours morning group lessons, I feel my Spanish basics are coming back a little bit, and I am really happy to improve them and getting a 3rd language back into my mind.
2 books I've been reading a lot these last weeks...


After 4 months without work... it feels good to use the brain again! I know, as you're probably working as crazy everyday, you may not be able to imagine, but really, it was great starting a new challenge to learn Spanish, and I am still working actively on it!

On the beach or around a pool, true, but I'll keep studying by my own in the next weeks, for sure!
Me, studying on the beach :-)
Bocas del Toro village
Strangely, as I quickly notice the 1st day, there is no beach in Bocas town, while we are on a Caribbean island in the middle of an archipelago.They have built houses / hotels all over the waterfront, with boat piers everywhere.
What the f*** would you tell me? Yes, it's what I thought too, and after all nice places visited, it was somehow disappointing... but the reasons are cultural and historic (I've been said): this part of the Caribbean being protected from storms and floodings, locals built their houses above the water on waterfronts. Ok, fine then, and it's anyhow very easy and quick to reach nice beaches 5-10mn away :-)

The Tungara hostel base :-)
The village itself is quite nice, with many Caribeean style colorful houses. Although it has the classic "developing country" destroyed roads, dirty sidewalks and trashes everywhere, it is charming!

You can walk across the village in about 10mn, so very convenient. There are many restaurants & bars, as well as hotels & hostels spread over the main street, where there is always some atmosphere and people walking by day & night.



So while it doesn't strike out as a "paradise on earth" type of place at 1st view, the combination of easy life,  cool people, vibrant nightlife, and a Caribbean's environment have definitely been making Bocas a great place for me :-). To learn Spanish, surf, making good friends or party, I can only recommend you stay there a bit!

Parc
Main street

Secondary street
My hotel street
The street to the infamous Barco Hundido
Other island view... with the Aqualounge bar/club
My base for 2 weeks, same room & bed, wow!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment