What is this blog for?

Yes, I am lucky enough to realize one of my dream: doing a world-tour traveling Eastward, crossing about 20 countries during 7 months :-))
This blog tries to share part of this personal experience, through pictures, descriptions and thoughts. This is also to keep a track for me to remember later on ;)
Enjoy and do not hesitate to comment!

Saturday 1 June 2013

Australian Great Barrier Reef

From Cairns, I have booked a 3 days "liveaboard" trip to dive on the Great Barrier Reef (GBR), so I am joining a 15 persons group on the boat, including my Dutch buddy Jaap who is joining too :). 

The boat and cabins to sleep there are quite nicer than excepted, and the group is friendly, it sounds great. The trip to go the GBR outer reef is quite long, about 3h long, and once there, I am a bit surprised to not "find / see" really the reef barrier... you mostly see the waves breaking above it, but there is no island or anything special to notice otherwise, at least on the few reefs we have done.

However, underwater, things are different... my photos are not the best, taken with the GoPro which is not the best for diving, having no flash. But the diversity of fishes and corals down there is quite impressive. Not as colorful as you can see on pictures and videos... but still really good to discover.

I feel really good diving again, 2 weeks after Thailand. Doing 11 dives in 3 days sounds a lot, but once you are there... clearly you just want to go down again! The 1st dive is outstanding, seeing heaps and heaps of different fishes, the huge Napoleon "Nancy", and swimming with a turtle for few minutes.

It is quite challenging to do 4 dives in 1/2 day the 1st day, but while going back in the water after dinner, and squeezing myself back into the wet wetsuit is tough, diving at night is great. The feeling of being down few meters under the water into this huge ocean, in the dark is both troublesome and great. I quite liked it :-) And you see the underwater world in a different way, not so many fishes as most of them sleep, but others get alive and show up in front of your light-torch.

I am posting few pics all below about this few days... It is much better underwater than it looks like, but at least it gives some impressions!

After all this, party with the diving group on Friday and flight to Sydney, yeeeehaaa again!



Me chasing a huge Napoleon fish... there are so funny!


Blurry "nemo" fishes ;)


Quite a big clam within corals

Jaap and a huge clam!




Me and a turtle easting the coral behind

Night dive... many sharks & big fishes attracted by the lights!!

My buddy Jaap and I



Gemma, me, Paul & Jaap buddies












No comments:

Post a Comment